Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Love One Another & The Holy Ghost


Loving One Another - Being Disciples of Christ

John 13:34-35 says: “A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”

According to this verse, if we want to be known as disciples of Christ, we must have love for others.  What does it mean to love others as we love ourselves?  Why is this important in our discipleship?
Let me share a story I take from a message by James E. Paramore, titles, “Love One Another.” 

One morning a poor little crippled boy in ragged clothes and badly worn shoes came to a busy street corner and went from person to person, begging for a few lira without success. A man observing the boy from a distance finally went over and picked up this little lad, held him tightly and loved him, and then went forth and cared for him with his means without any judgment.

This sight would have touched any heart and helps us see the power of love that our Father in Heaven would have us understand in our lives. Jesus, the beloved Son of God, reemphasized this new dimension to bless the world when He said, “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another.”

As we step back and try to understand this love of God, we are astounded by its profound impact. At its center is the reality of a literal Father in Heaven whose love for His children knows no bounds. All truths, wisdom, power, goodness, and love He desires to share with His children, whom He created and sent to earth. He would have us reach up and know Him as a Father, as one who forgives, as a helper, as friend, as lawgiveras one anxious to grant to every man the full opportunity of His love and potential and ultimately the blessing to one day become like Him. This love from Father in Heaven and its effects upon one of His children or the whole world is miraculous and contagious. He is constantly and everlastingly watching over us to lovingly and gently nudge us along.

In realizing Heavenly Father’s love for each of us, we can come to understand how much He must desire for us to be His hands here on earth and help every one of His children, not only for this life, but to hopefully help them return to Him.  This is true discipleship giving of ourselves and loving others as profoundly as Christ and Heavenly Father loves us.  We can be His instruments in helping others, doing good, and spreading the gospel.

I’ve often asked myself, “Do people know I am a disciple of Christ by the way I treat them?”  There are definitely certain people in my life that I know I treat lovingly and in a Christ-like manner.  But can I say that about my interactions with everyone I encounter?  Some ways we can work to improve our love for others include serving them, speaking kindly, exercising patience, not passing judgment, and expressing our appreciation for all that they are and all that they do.  As we do these things, we can draw closer to our Savior, and become better examples for Him.


The Holy Ghost

The Holy Ghost is one of the greatest gifts we’ve been given.  The Holy Ghost, or Spirit, has many purposes and ways in which he can bless our lives.  In John 15, it talks about how the Holy Ghost will teach and bring things to our remembrance.  It also talks about the Holy Ghost’s power to bring peace into our hearts and lives.  The Holy Ghost comforts us, and provides direction.  “The Holy Ghost is a Personage of Spirit, in the likeness of God the Father, in other words a likeness of the Father and the Son. His mission is to instruct and enlighten the minds of those who, through their faithfulness have obeyed the commandments of the Father and the Son. He bears witness of the truth, quickens the minds of those who have made covenant and reveals to them the mysteries of the kingdom of God. He is a special messenger from the Father and the Son and carries out their will. ” (Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 5:134.)  The New Testament Institute Manual shares this regarding the Holy Ghost bringing men to their fullest potential:

“The gift of the Holy Ghost adapts itself to all these organs or attributes. It quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands and purifies all the natural passions and affections; and adapts them, by the gift of wisdom, to their lawful use. It inspires, develops, cultivates and matures all the fine-toned sympathies, joys, tastes, kindred feelings and affections of our nature. It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness and charity. It develops beauty of person, form and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation and social feeling. It invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man. It strengthens, and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being.”

“In the presence of such persons, one feels to enjoy the light of their countenances, as the genial rays of a sunbeam. Their very atmosphere diffuses a thrill, a warm glow of pure gladness and sympathy, to the heart and nerves of others who have kindred feelings, or sympathy of spirit.” (Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, p. 101.)

I have been blessed to have felt the Spirit strongly in my life.  I can recall one of the first times I felt the Holy Ghost; I was eight years old, and it was the day of my baptism.  All morning as I got ready for my exciting day, I remember feeling a sense of extreme happiness and peace.  As I put on my special white dress and prepared to enter the baptismal font, I felt a calmness and peace that I’d never experienced.  This feeling intensified as I was submerged and brought back up out of the waters.  I know it was the Spirit, and I knew then that Heavenly Father was proud of the decision I had made.  Another time I remember feeling the Spirit strongly in my life was when I needed to make a decision about what to do/where to live after completing my Associates degree in Logan, Utah.  I had my own plans, but wanted to be sure that I was making the right decision.  I doubted my plans and wondered how I could know for certain that what I chose would be the right choice.  It was a long process trying to discover Heavenly Father’s plan for me, filled with prayer and fasting and scripture study.  There’s not a specific moment I remember feeling the Spirit strongly, but rather looking back over those months in my life, I remember feeling very close to Heavenly Father, and as I received my answer bit by bit, I felt peace and clarity, and knew that I could trust the decision I made based on the things I was receiving from Heavenly Father.  The Spirit spoke those things to me, and I gained a stronger testimony of the importance of always keeping the Spirit with us.  He can guide and direct us, bring us peace, and comfort us.

~Tanisha



No comments:

Post a Comment